Display problems with subcontexts

Van Parunak
I'd be grateful if someone can help me figure out what's wrong with an
application of subcontexts.

I'm manipulating two graphs, and it seems natural to put all the nodes
in each graph in a separate subcontext so that I can easily iterate over
them. My context builder starts out like this:

> public Context<Object> build(Context<Object> context) {
>         context.setId("assist");
>
>         Context<Object> patternContext  = new DefaultContext();
>         patternContext.setId("patternContext");
>         context.addSubContext(patternContext);
>         context.add(patternContext);
>
>         Context<Object> targetContext = new DefaultContext();
>         targetContext.setId("targetContext");
>         context.addSubContext(targetContext);
>         context.add(targetContext);
Then I invoke the network builder twice, once for each subcontext.
Here's the code for the target graph:

> NetworkBuilder<Object> targetBuilder = new
> NetworkBuilder<Object>("target", targetContext, false);
>         NodeCreator tnc = new DefaultNodeCreator(TargetNode.class);
>         try {
>             targetBuilder.load(targetPath, NetworkFileFormat.EXCEL, tnc);
>         }
>         catch (IOException e) {
>             System.out.println("IOException occurred when trying to
> build network: " + e.getMessage());
>         }
>         catch (Exception e)
>         {
>             System.out.println("Non-IO Exception occurred when trying
> to build network: " + e.getMessage());
>         }
>         Network<Object> target = targetBuilder.buildNetwork();
The code for the pattern graph is analogous.

I've named both subcontexts in my context.xml file:

> <context id="assist"
> xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://repast.org/scenario/context">
>     <context id = "targetContext">
>           <projection type="network" id="target"></projection>
>     </context>
>     <context id = "patternContext">
>         <projection type="network" id="pattern"></projection>
>     </context>
> </context>
The scenario is configured with two displays, one for each graph in its
own tab.

When I try to run this, both graphs load OK from their respective input
files (as shown by diagnostic msgs I'm printing from the my
NodeCreators). But then the display creation fails:

> ERROR [AWT-EventQueue-0] 20:48:41,335
> repast.simphony.visualization.engine.DisplayComponentControllerAction
> - Error while creating displays
> repast.simphony.visualization.engine.DisplayCreationException: Error
> while creating display.
>     at
> repast.simphony.visualization.engine.DisplayCreatorOGL2D.createDisplay(DisplayCreatorOGL2D.java:102)
>     at
> repast.simphony.visualization.engine.DisplayProducer.createDisplay(DisplayProducer.java:45)
>     at
> repast.simphony.visualization.engine.DisplayComponentControllerAction.runInitialize(DisplayComponentControllerAction.java:104)
> Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Projection 'target' not found.
>     at
> repast.simphony.visualization.engine.AbstractCartesianDisplayCreator.createLayout(AbstractCartesianDisplayCreator.java:57)
>     at
> repast.simphony.visualization.engine.DisplayCreatorOGL2D.createDisplay(DisplayCreatorOGL2D.java:62)
>     ... 49 more
and similarly for the 'pattern' projection. Clearly the display runtime
can't find my projections.

I have another version of the same builder without subcontexts. The only
differences are that the second argument to NetworkBuilder is simply
context rather than targetContext (respectively, patternContext), and
the context.xml says simply
> <context id="assist"
> xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://repast.org/scenario/context">
>         <projection type="network" id="target"></projection>
>         <projection type="network" id="pattern"></projection>
> </context>
This version runs just fine. What am I missing?

Re: Display problems with subcontexts

srcnick
The “caused by” section of the stack trace indicates that the display cannot find the “target” projection to display? In the scenario tree, what context do you have the display attached to?

Nick

> [...]
>>    at
>> repast.simphony.visualization.engine.DisplayCreatorOGL2D.createDisplay(DisplayCreatorOGL2D.java:62)
>>    ... 49 more
> and similarly for the 'pattern' projection. Clearly the display runtime
> can't find my projections.
>
> I have another version of the same builder without subcontexts. The only
> differences are that the second argument to NetworkBuilder is simply
> context rather than targetContext (respectively, patternContext), and
> the context.xml says simply
>> <context id="assist"
>> xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://repast.org/scenario/context">
>>        <projection type="network" id="target"></projection>
>>        <projection type="network" id="pattern"></projection>
>> </context>
> This version runs just fine. What am I missing?

OK, I see that I had defined the displays in the top-level context. So I removed them there, defined them in each of the subcontexts, and added my context builder to the DataLoader field in each subtree. Now I get my displays...but I get two of each! That is, I define one display in each of two subcontexts, and none in the top context, but I end up with four displays. Thoughts?

By the way, I discovered that I have to define my dataloader in both the top-level context and the subcontexts in the scenario tree, otherwise it doesn't work.

On 1/31/17 09:14, Nick Collier wrote:
[...]

H. Van Dyke Parunak, Ph.D.
President, ABC Research, LLC

Superior solutions through Agent-Based and Complex systems
1027 Ferdon Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-3630
email: van.parunak@...
cell: 734 395 3253
www.ABCResearch.org

Re: Display problems with subcontexts

srcnick
You should be able to set the data loader just on the top context. That context builder should create the two subcontexts and add the agents, projections to them. I’m guessing that the double displays is because the there are two copies of the networks and so they are displayed twice. Its hard to say for sure though.

Nick

On Jan 31, 2017, at 11:00 AM, Van Parunak <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<LogoColorArtNouveau_Small.png>
Superior solutions through Agent-Based and Complex systems
1027 Ferdon Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-3630
email: <a href="x-msg://49/van.parunak@gmail.com" class="">van.parunak@...
cell: 734 395 3253

[...]