GIS - How to display SimpleFeatures to Map

GIS - How to display SimpleFeatures to Map

SeniorShizzle
Hello,

I’m sorry to bother you chaps, but I have’ve run into a bit of a problem regarding the display of GIS data.

My team—all of us students—and I are new to RePast, thrown into the deep end of a life history modeling program designed to simulate populations of salmon in the US Pacific Northwest.

To this end, we need to find a way to have our fish follow rivers, which are represented as polyline features in our ArcMap GIS data. First of all, we need to be able to display the map of this data!

So far, we’ve managed to load in a GIS file using the ShapeFileDataStore object. We’re able to turn this file into an ArrayList of SimpleFeature objects, each of which contain all of the necessary data—including Points, IDs, and metadata—to use in our simulation.

We’ve tried several different ways to get a map of this data. The latest thing that we’ve been trying is a JMapFrame and MapContent objects, which are part of the GeoTools kit. Unfortunately, we haven’t had any luck with this approach, and following the Repast GIS Tutorials on the sourceforge page has not lead to any success either.

Currently, we have a few people working on deconstructing the RepastCity3 project for any clues, but it seems to be doing significantly different things with the GIS than are we. Unfortunately, none of us have any experience in either RePast or GIS, and so we’re effectively at an impasse.

Any help you could give us would be most appreciated. Our tasks are as follows:1)  displaying the GIS data to a map; 2) forcing agents to follow the GIS lines during their travels to the Ocean.

If you could point us in the direction of some concrete tutorials, or present some simple examples we would all be most gracious.

Thanks for your time.

Best,
Esteban & Team

Re: GIS - How to display SimpleFeatures to Map

Tatara, Eric R.
The RepastCity demo model logic is very close to what you are trying to do so that's a good example wrt to the core model code.  Repast has a Geography demo that provides examples of displaying multiple geography feature types on the Repast GIS displays.  The existing GIS tutorials on Sourceforge are for much older versions of Repast and won't be useful if you are using a newer version.

eric