Quantcast

GIS display error: Attribute "xmlns:sld" was already specified for element "sld:UserStyle"

GIS display error: Attribute "xmlns:sld" was already specified for element "sld:UserStyle"

Hazel.Parry

Hi there,

I’m still using Repast 2.2 as I couldn’t get GIS displays in Repast Simphony 2.3 to display multiple types of agent at once, i.e. lines and polygons, as was possible in 2.2 (it would be good to know how, but that isn’t really my currently query!). But now I’m having trouble with Repast Simphony 2.2 strangely in a model that to date was working fine.  When I try to add a new display, or even when I remove a display and then replace it exactly as it was, I get the following error.  This occurs across every model I have written (tested by trying to add new displays to existing models), so I feel it is perhaps due to some external change affecting things – maybe by a new version of Java being automatically installed by my company?!

Please could you confirm if you think that might be the problem, if there is a work-around or if I need to go back to a previous version of java (and which one if so?), or what else it might be?!

Many thanks,

Hazel

Currently running Java v 8 update 77, build 1.8.0_77-b03

Fatal Error] :1:244: Attribute "xmlns:sld" was already specified for element "sld:UserStyle".

ERROR [AWT-EventQueue-0] 16:34:09,607 repast.simphony.visualization.engine.DisplayProducer - Error creating display for GIS

java.lang.RuntimeException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 244; Attribute "xmlns:sld" was already specified for element "sld:UserStyle"…….

Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 244; Attribute "xmlns:sld" was already specified for element "sld:UserStyle"…….

ERROR [AWT-EventQueue-0] 16:34:09,610 repast.simphony.visualization.engine.DisplayComponentControllerAction - Error while creating displays

java.lang.NullPointerException …..

I can send through more details/code if necessary.

Dr Hazel Parry
Spatial Modeller/Ecologist
CSIRO Agriculture

Re: GIS display error: Attribute "xmlns:sld" was already specified for element "sld:UserStyle"

Tatara, Eric R.
Hazel,

I was able to replicate the issue with Repast 2.2 on Java 8u77 and fixed the issue by using Java 7 instead.  There seems to be some incompatibility with a dependent library that's saving the XML GIS style files such that info is being duplicated.  If you use Java 7 instead, the displays will work, however displays that were created using Java 8 are corrupted and need to be recreated under Java 7.  Any display files that were previously working under Java 7 should continue to do so.

The easiest method to add Java 7 on Windows is to download the latest Java 7 archive (not the installer) from:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

I used the jre-7u80-windows-x64.tar.gz and you can extract this with free archive utils such as 7zip or winrar.  You can then add this jre to your Repast 2.2 installation as follows:

1. Exit from Repast/Eclipse.
2. Copy the extracted jre1.7.0_80 folder to your \RepastSimphony-2.2\eclipse folder
3. Rename the jre1.7.0_80 folder to "jre" so that the full path is \RepastSimphony-2.2\eclipse\jre

Steps 1-3 are optional but will allow Eclipse to use this JRE by default.  If you have permission issues with installing to the Repast folder, you can store the \jre folder anywhere else, but Eclipse won't use it by default.

4. Restart Eclipse with your project workspace and under Preferences -> Java -> Installed JREs, select the Java 8 entry and remove it.
5. While still in the Installed JREs menu, select Add... -> Standard VM -> Directory... and point to the \RepastSimphony-2.2\eclipse\jre folder
6. Finish -> OK and your workspace will rebuild.

This process may need to be repeated for other workspaces since the compiler preferences are stored in the workspace settings but once saved will persist in that workspace.

eric

Eric Tatara, PhD, PE
Software Engineer
Global Security Sciences Division
Argonne National Laboratory

Re: GIS display error: Attribute "xmlns:sld" was already specified for element "sld:UserStyle"

cnietocoria
Hi Eric and Hazel,

Sorry for the interruption, but is a what happened to me. I am still using repast 2.1 because I wasn't able to create the GIS display in repast 2.2 and later versions (I tried till 2.3).

I have my projects working on repast 2.1 with my gis agents. My doubt is if I decide to move forward to some recent version of repast and I follow the process described above. Will repast display it? (might be some minor changes to make it work)

Regards,

Cesar

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Tatara, Eric R. <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

PhD. Student at University of Camerino
Ing. Cesar Augusto Nieto Coria
skype: cnietocoria

Re: GIS display error: Attribute "xmlns:sld" was already specified for element "sld:UserStyle"

Tatara, Eric R.
Cesar,

If you had the same error message as Hazel reported, I have confirmed that using Java 7 will fix it.  There are some changes in the GIS 3D display styles between versions 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 that can be addressed by looking at the included Geography demo in the newer versions.  The GIS 2D styles between versions should work without modification. Unfortunately there is a bug in the GIS style editor in version 2.3 that causes issues with adding new displays, however existing will work, and new displays can be added by manually editing the display XML files or by creating the display XML in an older version of Repast and copying over.  Please feel free to ask additional questions about updating your models.

Eric Tatara, PhD, PE
Software Engineer
Global Security Sciences Division
Argonne National Laboratory

Re: GIS display error: Attribute "xmlns:sld" was already specified for element "sld:UserStyle"

cnietocoria
Eric ,

Thanks, this is very useful information. Well I think that I'll finish my projects and then try to moving on to a later repast version.

Although in a future I'd like to do it, then for sure that I'll ask if I have some errors.

Thanks a lot. Regards,

Cesar,