How to pop up a topography map in Repast? and distributing my agents on top of it?

How to pop up a topography map in Repast? and distributing my agents on top of it?

Meshal Al-Harbi
Hi all,

I am a new repast learner. I have the attached city map in a shape file style. I would like to pop it up as it, and distribute my agents on top of it. It is basically a topography layer.

Any help with a code to do this task?

Thank you all ..

Meshal,

Picture2.jpg (207K) Download Attachment

Re: How to pop up a topography map in Repast? and distributing my agents on top of it?

Tatara, Eric R.

Please first look at the Repast Geography demo model to see how to load shapefiles.

Re: How to pop up a topography map in Repast? and distributing my agents on top of it?

Meshal Al-Harbi
Eric,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I actually have looked at it and I also found different codes in the internet. However, when I run those codes I get points, dots,  every where instead of getting full map. what should I do to solve this problem. I found the following code, and it seems easy to understand, but it still gives me points not the correct map.

File shapefile = null;

ShapefileLoader load = null;

try {

shapefile = new File("D:/Download_FinalMap_555483/result/Topography_Shapefiles/Topo_Area.shp");

load = new ShapefileLoader(SME.class, shapefile.toURL(), geography, context);

}

catch (java.net.MalformedURLException e){

e.printStackTrace();

}

while (load.hasNext()) {

load.next();

}

when I adjust the code in the repast geography demo to work with my shapefiles I got the following error:

6852 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR MessageCenter.INTERNAL.repast.simphony.visualization.engine.DisplayComponentControllerAction - Error while creating displays

java.lang.NullPointerException

--
Eng.Meshal Al-beedhani

Re: How to pop up a topography map in Repast? and distributing my agents on top of it?

Fabian Cid

Hi Meshal
I do work with a landscape, and I inherited a code to read ASCII layers (columns and rows with numbers representing something). The  code is based on the value layer interfaces. Therefore, you'll need to convert your layer (image) into that kind of matrix or use another reader to do it. On the visualization part, you will need to define a style class that you use in the repast GUI  to display the layer.

If you have the shapefile vector format, then the Geography example that comes with Repast is a good start.

Fabián Cid Yañez

On Jul 27, 2016 10:29 AM, "Meshal Al-Harbi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I am a new repast learner. I have the attached city map in a shape file style. I would like to pop it up as it, and distribute my agents on top of it. It is basically a topography layer.

Any help with a code to do this task?

Thank you all ..

Meshal,

Re: How to pop up a topography map in Repast? and distributing my agents on top of it?

Meshal Al-Harbi

Fabián Cid Yañez

I have tryied to follow the repast geography demo. In the demo I put my shapefile instead on the zone shapefile, but I got the following erorr. Should I make any other changes than changing the shapefile name?

On Jul 28, 2016, at 7:54 PM, Fabian Cid <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The Geography demo displays are configured to use feature attributes in the shapefile data.  Please try to create a new display or modify the existing demo model display properties to reflect any difference in the shapefile data.

eric

Eric Tatara, PhD, PE
Software Engineer
Global Security Sciences Division
Argonne National Laboratory

Re: How to pop up a topography map in Repast? and distributing my agents on top of it?

Yared Abayneh
Fabian,

I have struggled to visualize raster files (ASCII or GeoTIFF) in Repast Simphony display. Would you please elaborate how you managed to do the visualization? I appreciate if you could share some lines of codes (or a link for that) to start with.

Cheers,

Yared
Yared Abayneh Abebe, MSc
PhD Research Fellow in Urban Water Systems
Environmental Engineering and Water Technology Department
UNESCO-IHE Institute for Water Education

On Friday, July 29, 2016 2:52 PM, Fabian Cid <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your reply. I followed the repast geographic demo, and everything seems good to me. I actually found where the problem is. I created a new display in the Geographic example using the display wizard, so my new display shows the maps as small square points. but when I copied the style that comes in the  "repast.simphony.action.display_2.xml" under the (Styles --> entry --> string) and pasted it in the same place in the new display XML it worked perfectly. How can I create these styles automatically ?

Appreciate your help ,,

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Tatara, Eric R. <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Geography demo displays are configured to use feature attributes in the shapefile data.  Please try to create a new display or modify the existing demo model display properties to reflect any difference in the shapefile data.

eric

Eric Tatara, PhD, PE
Software Engineer
Global Security Sciences Division
Argonne National Laboratory

Re: How to pop up a topography map in Repast? and distributing my agents on top of it?

Meshal Al-Harbi
Eric,

Thank you for the explanation. I solved the problem it is basically because of the repast display issue as you mentioned.