Offline GIS data

Bilge Kaan Gorur
Hello,

I'm trying to use GIS environment of Repast Simphony 2.1. As far as I
understood, GIS data is retrieved from some servers. So when I want to
use GIS environment in an offline PC, the map is viewed in a very low
resolution. I wonder if it is possible to use GIS environment offline
or not. For instance, can we download some GIS data and use it in
Repast?

Thanks in advance.

(I'm getting an email that says I'm not allowed to post to this
mailing list, although I could have sent a few messages before. I
apologize if you are getting this post multiple times)

--
B. Kaan Gorur

Re: Offline GIS data

Tatara, Eric R.
The WorldWind library included with Repast performs image caching the same way as a stand alone application.  On Windows systems, Repast will store the cached data in the Worldwind default C:\ProgramData\WorldWindData.  As long as the data is cached say by viewing the desired regions and zoom level, the Repast displays will used the cached data, even without a network connection.  You may see some warning messages when a network is not available, but it should not affect the image caching.  I've done the cache ahead for demos before and as long as you use the same machine, it should work.  I suspect you can also copy the entire C:\ProgramData\WorldWindData folder to a target machine to have the same effect, but I have not tested that.

Eric Tatara, PhD, PE
Software Engineer
Global Security Sciences Division
Argonne National Laboratory

Re: Offline GIS data

Bilge Kaan Gorur
Hello Dr. Tatara,

I provided Repast to cache data in a network connected computer and
copied C:\ProgramData\WorldWindData folder to another one. Now, it
works without internet connection.

Thank you very much.

Alinti "Tatara, Eric R." <[hidden email]>