Problems with Adding Sequence Graph Series

Problems with Adding Sequence Graph Series

Neil E. Klepeis
Hi,

I'm a brand new user of repast v 3.1 on Linux (RepastPy v 1.2).  I don't
have a lot of Java experience.    I've started with all the RepastPy
tutorials, which went just fine.  I can run all the examples OK.   But I
want to set up a Sequence Graph for showing properties of each agent in
a network.    I get an error whenever I try to add a New Series (see
below).  Have others seen this?    Is there a work around?

Thanks,
Neil

Standard error:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
         at
uchicago.src.simbuilder.beans.network.ActionNameDialog.getName(ActionNameDialog.java:85)
         at
com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKStyleFactory.getMatchingStyles(Unknown
Source)
         at
com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKStyleFactory._getStyle(Unknown Source)
      at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKStyleFactory.getStyle(Unknown
Source)
         at javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthLookAndFeel.getStyle(Unknown Source)
         at javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthLookAndFeel.updateStyle(Unknown
Source)
         at javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthPanelUI.updateStyle(Unknown Source)
         at javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthPanelUI.installDefaults(Unknown
Source)
         at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicPanelUI.installUI(Unknown Source)
         at javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthPanelUI.installUI(Unknown Source)
         at javax.swing.JComponent.setUI(Unknown Source)
         at javax.swing.JPanel.setUI(Unknown Source)
         at javax.swing.JPanel.updateUI(Unknown Source)
         at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(Unknown Source)
         at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(Unknown Source)

[snip....]

RE: Problems with Adding Sequence Graph Series

rnick
Neil,

I'm having trouble reproducing this error. Can you tell me exactly what you
are doing and when you see the error (e.g. the error appears when close the
sequence editor, or some other time)?

Re: Problems with Adding Sequence Graph Series

Neil E. Klepeis
Nick,  Here is what I do to get the error:

1:  I start repastpy
2:  I select a new network model
3:  I add a network node agent
4:  I select "Random Density" for the source
5:  I add a network display
6:  I compile and run (everythiny OK)
7:  I add a sequence graph
8:  I hit the "edit" button for "Series"
9:  I hit "New Series"

This is exactly where the following error shows up in the console (right
when I hit the "new" button) and I don't get a new series:

"Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
[...]"

I've also noticed the error happening when I hit "New Action" for a
network node.

Could it be a problem with Java 1.5.  I don't remember seeing a
different requirement anywhere.

Thanks,
Neil

Nick Collier wrote:

> Neil,
>
> I'm having trouble reproducing this error. Can you tell me exactly what you
> are doing and when you see the error (e.g. the error appears when close the
> sequence editor, or some other time)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick

I'm running it under 1.5 on windows XP and I don't see the problem. I wonder
if it could be a linux thing. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a
working linux box at the moment, but I'll see what I can do.

Nick

Nick Collier wrote:

> Neil,
>
> I'm having trouble reproducing this error. Can you tell me exactly
> what you are doing and when you see the error (e.g. the error appears
> when close the sequence editor, or some other time)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick

Vos, Jerry R.-2
I tested this out under knoppix 4.blah (the dvd).  I tried this under
both java 1.4 and java 5 and it appeared to work fine.  I'm not 100%
sure that it was using the correct jars when I was doing the test under
java 5, but it should've been.

Anyway, here's what I did:

   1. Tried your steps under java 1.4 by just running
      Repast-3.1/repastpy.sh.  Everything worked, I even got the chart
      to display
   2. Tried under java 1.5 by installing java 1.5 and then doing:
      /usr/java/jdk.../bin/java -jar repastpy.jar from the
      Repast-3.1/RepastPy directory.  Again, I did the steps listed and
      everything seemed to work fine.  I could get the simulation to run
      correctly and after closing and restarting repast (to load up the
      new chart with series "return 3" named blahblahblah) everything
      worked fine; the chart even updated.

I'm not sure what the problem could be.  If there is any more uchicago.
stuff in the stack trace (below the point you snipped), could you post
the entire trace?

Jerry

>I'm running it under 1.5 on windows XP and I don't see the problem. I wonder
>if it could be a linux thing. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a
>working linux box at the moment, but I'll see what I can do.
>
>Nick

Jerry,

I'm on Fedora Core 3 w/ all the updates and java 1.5.

Here is everything that comes out when I hit the "New Series" button.
thanks, Neil

Exception in thread "Thread-15" java.lang.NullPointerException
         at uchicago.src.sim.engine.BaseController$1.run(Unknown Source)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[...]
uchicago.src.simbuilder.beans.network.ActionNameDialog.<init>(ActionNameDialog.java:33)
         at
uchicago.src.simbuilder.beans.SequencePropertyPanel.doNew(SequencePropertyPanel.java:371)
         at
uchicago.src.simbuilder.beans.SequencePropertyPanel.access$200(SequencePropertyPanel.java:32)
         at
uchicago.src.simbuilder.beans.SequencePropertyPanel$4.actionPerformed(SequencePropertyPanel.java:394)
         at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown
Source)
         at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown
Source)
         at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
         at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
         at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown
Source)
         at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

Vos, Jerry R. wrote:

> I tested this out under knoppix 4.blah (the dvd).  I tried this under
> both java 1.4 and java 5 and it appeared to work fine.  I'm not 100%
> sure that it was using the correct jars when I was doing the test under
> java 5, but it should've been.
>
> Anyway, here's what I did:
>
>   1. Tried your steps under java 1.4 by just running
>      Repast-3.1/repastpy.sh.  Everything worked, I even got the chart
>      to display
>   2. Tried under java 1.5 by installing java 1.5 and then doing:
>      /usr/java/jdk.../bin/java -jar repastpy.jar from the
>      Repast-3.1/RepastPy directory.  Again, I did the steps listed and
>      everything seemed to work fine.  I could get the simulation to run
>      correctly and after closing and restarting repast (to load up the
>      new chart with series "return 3" named blahblahblah) everything
>      worked fine; the chart even updated.
>
> I'm not sure what the problem could be.  If there is any more uchicago.
> stuff in the stack trace (below the point you snipped), could you post
> the entire trace?
>
> Jerry

Neil Klepeis
Well, I've upgraded to Fedora Core 4 (Linux) and the latest Java from
java.com (version 5.0 update 5).    Unfortunately, the same problems
appear and RepastPy looks horrible with my Gnome theme :(.

Fortunately, RepastJ works fine on Linux so I can run all the demos and
java code.   Also, as a workaround I can build RepasyPy models in an old
Windows 98 machine I had lying around (very painful! :) and load these
into the Linux RepastPy or export to Java.

So it definitely seems to be a problem with the Linux version of RepastPy.

Thanks for your attention!

--Neil

*From:* Neil Klepeis <[hidden email]>

> Well, I've upgraded to Fedora Core 4 (Linux) and the latest Java from
> java.com (version 5.0 update 5).    Unfortunately, the same problems
> appear and RepastPy looks horrible with my Gnome theme :(.
>
> Fortunately, RepastJ works fine on Linux so I can run all the demos
> and java code.   Also, as a workaround I can build RepasyPy models in
> an old Windows 98 machine I had lying around (very painful! :) and
> load these into the Linux RepastPy or export to Java.
>
> So it definitely seems to be a problem with the Linux version of
> RepastPy.

The issue is there is no linux version of Repast Py.  Since it's java
the same version of Repast Py is running on the windows machine and the
linux one.  There could be some jre problem going on here, or there
could be that somewhere in the Repast Py code it's making some
assumption that aren't valid on linux, but I'm not sure.  The fact that
I could get it to run properly shows this is going to be one of those
wierd problems that are hard to fix.

Does anyone else out there use Repast Py on linux with java 5 and it
works?  Does anyone else use it and it doesn't?

As one possibility, I know this is generally poor form, but if possible
try running Repast Py as root, maybe you're getting some sort of
permissions error or something (this happened to me).

Jerry

> Thanks for your attention!
>
> --Neil
>

> Neil E. Klepeis wrote:
>
>> Jerry,
>>
>> I'm on Fedora Core 3 w/ all the updates and java 1.5.
>>
>> Here is everything that comes out when I hit the "New Series" button.
>> thanks, Neil
>

> [snip....]

Re: Problems with Adding Sequence Graph Series

Neil Klepeis
Thanks Jerry,

The same problems show up when I run RepastPy as root.   I could be
doing something else dumb, but my java setup seems OK;  For example, I
can run the Eclipse SDK (eclipse.org) with no problems.

--Neil