Question about Repast Simphony JZombies model on the Cloud

Question about Repast Simphony JZombies model on the Cloud

Carlos Bahamonde Reyes

Dear all,

I have re-implemented the JZombies model on Repast Simphony for Windows and I need to run it on a Cloud provider where the cloud resources are Ubuntu Linux distributions. The cloud provider (CloudBroker) have told me that I need to deploy my model as a Shell Script and with the required repast plugins.

Could you please give me some hint about how to address this?

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,

--
Carlos R. Bahamonde Reyes
Ingeniero Civil Electrónico

Re: Question about Repast Simphony JZombies model on the Cloud

Ozik, Jonathan
Hi Carlos,

You can take a look at the Repast Simphony Batch Runs Getting Started Guide http://repast.sourceforge.net/docs/RepastBatchRunsGettingStarted.pdf for how to create a "payload" which includes all the necessary Repast Simphony jars. If you are familiar with shell scripts you can look at repastwrapper.sh within the payload (see Section 8) and adapt the contents to launching a single run using the InstanceRunner class.
Something like:
    mkdir $instanceDir
    cd $instanceDir
    ln -s "../data" data
    java -Xmx512m -cp "../lib/*" repast.simphony.batch.InstanceRunner \
        -pxml ../scenario.rs/batch_params.xml \
        -scenario ../scenario.rs \
        -id $instance \
        -pinput localParamFile.txt

where the instanceDir variable is the directory within which the simulation will run and the localParamFile.txt is an unrolled parameter file specifying the combination(s) of parameters to run (see the unrolledParamFile.txt within the payload for an example).

Jonathan

On Aug 2, 2016, at 9:31 AM, Carlos Bahamonde Reyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear all,

I have re-implemented the JZombies model on Repast Simphony for Windows and I need to run it on a Cloud provider where the cloud resources are Ubuntu Linux distributions. The cloud provider (CloudBroker) have told me that I need to deploy my model as a Shell Script and with the required repast plugins.

Could you please give me some hint about how to address this?

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,

--
Carlos R. Bahamonde Reyes
Ingeniero Civil Electrónico
Universidad de Concepción

Re: Question about Repast Simphony JZombies model on the Cloud

Carlos Bahamonde Reyes
Dear Jonathan,

Thank you very much for your response. Fortunately, I had already took a look to that manual so I'm a little familiar with it. But I have one more doubt. I'm thinking to make a shell script "repastwrapper.sh" like this:

    #!/bin/bash
    mkdir /opt/repast
    cd /opt/repast
    ln -s "../data" data
    java -Xmx512m -cp "../lib/*" repast.simphony.batch.InstanceRunner \
        -pxml ../scenario.rs/batch_params.xml \
        -scenario ../scenario.rs \
        -id $instance \
        -pinput localParamFile.txt

Cloudbroker has a field for executable, where I'll upload my script "repastwrapper.sh" and some input ports where I'll upload the files batch_params.xml and the localParamFile.txt. But what about the other files that are inside the "payload" file? For example the 83 jar files that are in the /lib directory. How should I submit/upload those to the Cloud platform? Any Suggestion?

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,

[...]

I'm not sure about the specifics of Cloudbroker but I'd consider pushing the full payload "complete_model.jar" up to Cloudbroker and include an unzipping and cd-ing into the unzipped directory as part of the shell script. (The script should be run from within the complete_model directory as written.)

Jonathan

On Aug 2, 2016, at 2:08 PM, Carlos Bahamonde Reyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

What do you mean with cd-ing?