Repast Simphony 2.4 installation problem

Repast Simphony 2.4 installation problem

bagjohn
I try to install Repast on Linux Mint 17.3 'Rosa' 64-bit

I follow the instructions here : https://repast.github.io/download.html

What follows persisted for Eclipse Neon1 and Neon2, Commiters and modelling release, user and sudo installation

java and javac version 1.8

The Groovy and Repast software seem to be installed correctly from within eclipse as shown in the installation properties.

First problem

After loading the example projects on the workspace there were errors regarding the library jar files that were supposed to be found in the eclipse plugins folder and were not:

The container 'Repast Simphony Development Libraries' references non existing library '/home/bagjohn/software/eclipse/committers-latest-released/eclipse/plugins/libs.bsf_2.4.0/lib/bsf.jar'    Automata        Build path    Build Path Problem

When checking under  Project -> Properties -> Java Build Path -> Libraries I realize that Repast Simphony Development Libraries (jar files) are missing. Also their location is predefined under eclipse/plugins in folders with suffix _2.4.0 which I cannot change.

Solution (probably not optimal)

I download Repast Simphony 2.4.0 Release.zip from https://sourceforge.net/projects/repast/files/v2.4.0/
I extract it in the plugins folder. I manually rename folders adding the _2.4.0 suffix
Now the jar files are detected where they are supposed to be and the example projects are loaded on the workspace

Second problem

When trying to run a project I get the message :
Error: Could not find or load main class repast.simphony.runtime.RepastMain

Attempt to solve

 Under Run -> Run Configurations -> Classpath under User Entries there exists Repast Simphony Interactive Runtime Libraries

The only thing that made a change was pressing the restore default entries button after which under User entries appeared "--the project folder-- (default classpath)". After running the error message was :

ERROR [main] 03:49:55,840 saf.core.runtime.Boot - null
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at saf.core.runtime.Boot.init(Boot.java:79)
    at saf.core.runtime.Boot.main(Boot.java:246)
    at repast.simphony.runtime.RepastMain.main(RepastMain.java:43)
ERROR [main] 03:49:55,856 saf.core.runtime.Boot - null
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at saf.core.runtime.Boot.run(Boot.java:101)
    at saf.core.runtime.Boot.main(Boot.java:247)
    at repast.simphony.runtime.RepastMain.main(RepastMain.java:43)

Another probably wrong attempt

Adding Under Run -> Run Configurations ->Arguments under Program arguments:
,  "/....-path to eclipse-..../eclipse/plugins/repast.simphony.runtime_2.4.0" provided the error message

WARN  [main] 04:04:35,685 org.java.plugin.boot.DefaultPluginsCollector - unknown repository location /home/bagjohn/software/eclipse/committers-latest-released/eclipse/plugins/repast.simphony.runtime_2.4.0..
ERROR [main] 04:04:35,802 saf.core.runtime.Boot - unknown plug-in ID - saf.core.runtime
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: unknown plug-in ID - saf.core.runtime
    at org.java.plugin.registry.xml.PluginRegistryImpl.getPluginDescriptor(Unknown Source)
    at org.java.plugin.standard.StandardPluginManager.getPlugin(Unknown Source)
    at saf.core.runtime.Boot.run(Boot.java:101)
    at saf.core.runtime.Boot.main(Boot.java:247)
    at repast.simphony.runtime.RepastMain.main(RepastMain.java:43)

After googling and browsing the sourceforge mailing list I could not find any solution and the explanation about how Boot works did not help.

Could you help me please?

Thank you

Re: Repast Simphony 2.4 installation problem

srcnick
Apologies for the late reply but we’ve been on a holiday break. When you first installed from the update site, did you see the correct *_2.4.0 folders? Also, eclipse seems to get easily confused post a big plugin install. Can you try cleaning the projects (Project -> Clean, and select all of them) and see if that helps.

Nick

> [...]
> ERROR [main] 04:04:35,802 saf.core.runtime.Boot - unknown plug-in ID -
> saf.core.runtime
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: unknown plug-in ID - saf.core.runtime
>    at
> org.java.plugin.registry.xml.PluginRegistryImpl.getPluginDescriptor(Unknown
> Source)
>    at org.java.plugin.standard.StandardPluginManager.getPlugin(Unknown
> Source)
>    at saf.core.runtime.Boot.run(Boot.java:101)
>    at saf.core.runtime.Boot.main(Boot.java:247)
>    at repast.simphony.runtime.RepastMain.main(RepastMain.java:43)
>
> After googling and browsing the sourceforge mailing list I could not find
> any solution and the explanation about how Boot works did not help.
>
> Could you help me please?
>
> Thank you

Re: Repast Simphony 2.4 installation problem

Hello!

Name : "Repast Symphony" with subgroup
       Name : "Repast Symphony" Version : 2.4.0.
No other folders!

  • Under Help -> installation details under installed software i see

Repast Symphony          2.4.0                                      repast.symphony.feature.feature.group                         Argonne National Laboratory
    WST XML Core         3.8.0.v201608061842                 org.eclipse.wst.xml_core.feature.feature.group            Eclipse Web Tools Platform

  • Cleaning the projects doesn't help

Panos

> [...]

> ERROR [main] 04:04:35,802 saf.core.runtime.Boot - unknown plug-in ID -
> saf.core.runtime
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: unknown plug-in ID - saf.core.runtime
>    at
> org.java.plugin.registry.xml.PluginRegistryImpl.getPluginDescriptor(Unknown
> Source)
>    at org.java.plugin.standard.StandardPluginManager.getPlugin(Unknown
> Source)
>    at saf.core.runtime.Boot.run(Boot.java:101)
>    at saf.core.runtime.Boot.main(Boot.java:247)
>    at repast.simphony.runtime.RepastMain.main(RepastMain.java:43)
>
> After googling and browsing the sourceforge mailing list I could not find
> any solution and the explanation about how Boot works did not help.
>
> Could you help me please?
>
> Thank you

Re: Repast Simphony 2.4 installation problem

Sorry, I meant do the actual folders in the installation directory exist. For example,

/home/nick/sfw/eclipse/plugins/repast.simphony.core_2.4.0 etc.

I’ll do another Linux install here to check that things are working.

NIck

On Jan 3, 2017, at 10:08 AM, Panagiotis Sakagiannis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> ERROR [main] 04:04:35,802 saf.core.runtime.Boot - unknown plug-in ID -
> saf.core.runtime
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: unknown plug-in ID - saf.core.runtime
>    at
> org.java.plugin.registry.xml.PluginRegistryImpl.getPluginDescriptor(Unknown
> Source)
>    at org.java.plugin.standard.StandardPluginManager.getPlugin(Unknown
> Source)
>    at saf.core.runtime.Boot.run(Boot.java:101)
>    at saf.core.runtime.Boot.main(Boot.java:247)
>    at repast.simphony.runtime.RepastMain.main(RepastMain.java:43)
>
> After googling and browsing the sourceforge mailing list I could not find
> any solution and the explanation about how Boot works did not help.
>
> Could you help me please?
>
> Thank you

Re: Repast Simphony 2.4 installation problem

I tried this on Ubuntu 16.04, following the instructions from https://repast.github.io/download.html, and it all works as expected. Here’s what I did —

2. Installed the groovy plugins from http://dist.springsource.org/snapshot/GRECLIPSE/e4.6/ via Eclipse’s help -> install new software.
3. Installed the Repast Simphony plugins from https://repo.anl-external.org/repos/repast/ via Eclipse’s help -> install new software.
3. Downloaded the examples models (https://github.com/Repast/repast.simphony.models/archive/v2.4.0.zip) and imported them.
4. Ran a few example models.

Does this match what you did? Did you install the simphony plugin before the groovy one? The website doesn’t mention the order explicitly but I think you might have better success if you install the groovy extension first if you havent done that.

> [...]

> ERROR [main] 04:04:35,802 saf.core.runtime.Boot - unknown plug-in ID -
> saf.core.runtime
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: unknown plug-in ID - saf.core.runtime
>    at
> org.java.plugin.registry.xml.PluginRegistryImpl.getPluginDescriptor(Unknown
> Source)
>    at org.java.plugin.standard.StandardPluginManager.getPlugin(Unknown
> Source)
>    at saf.core.runtime.Boot.run(Boot.java:101)
>    at saf.core.runtime.Boot.main(Boot.java:247)
>    at repast.simphony.runtime.RepastMain.main(RepastMain.java:43)
>
> After googling and browsing the sourceforge mailing list I could not find
> any solution and the explanation about how Boot works did not help.
>
> Could you help me please?
>
> Thank you

Re: Repast Simphony 2.4 installation problem

I solved my problem!
I post so that anyone having the same problem can benefit.

For installation on Linux Mint 17.3

When I follow the above method (the one on the repast site and which you also provided) for some reason the libraries of the plugins folder from https://repo.anl-external.org/repos/repast/ are not automatically downloaded.
So I had to do it manually.

And that's it!

Re: Repast Simphony 2.4 installation problem

bagjohn
I solved my problem!
I post so that anyone having the same problem can benefit.

For installation on Linux Mint 17.3

When I follow the above method (the one on the repast site and which you also provided) for some reason the libraries of the plugin folder from https://repo.anl-external.org/repos/repast/ are not automatically downloaded.
So I had to do it manually.

And that's it!