Quantcast

Repast Symphony - Airport Map

Gerardo Leo
Hello,

I would create an agent based model using Repast Symphony, in order to simulate the emergency evacuation in an airpot scenario.
Do you think that the GIS map is the best choice to create the airport terminal's map or maybe others solutions could be more suitable to this case ?

Thank you very much.
Gerardo

Re: Repast Symphony - Airport Map

Tatara, Eric R.
The Geography context (which is visualized in the GIS displays) can represent actual space filling agents such as lines and polygons along with various topological functions like intersection and distance from borders.   The other spatial projections are only point-location based, so if the topological features are important to your model, then the Geography projection is recommended.  The caveat of using the Geography is that the data either needs to be stored in a shapefile, or created during the model initialization from say a CSV input.   In the case were you have abstract spatial  data that's not tied to actual location, you can still use this data to create the shapes by using a meter or ft-based GIS projection and the actual reference datum isn't important (although you might want to adjust that if using in combination with the ground image layers so your airport doesn't show up in the middle of the ocean).

Eric Tatara, PhD, PE
Software Engineer
Global Security Sciences Division
Argonne National Laboratory

Re: Repast Symphony - Airport Map

Gerardo Leo
Thank you very much for your feedback, I appreciate the prompt reply.

My problem is that I am not that good with Repast, I have just started working with it (and also with Java), but there are not many tutorials or manuals online.
I studied the documentation proposed on the Repast website and I am quite able to create different agents with different own features and behaviors, at the moment my problem is how to create the airport map and how to integrate it in my Repast model. I did't find any tutorial about this and I don't know how to start.