making RePast parameter input organized and user-friendly...

making RePast parameter input organized and user-friendly...

Venkatesh Mysore
This is a very general question: What are the formal ways of
describing multi-agent models ? What modeling language is ideal for
specifying agent behavior ?

We have a simulation set-up with a huge number of parameters that the
user can set. What is a more sophisticated / elegant way of organizing
them (other than just listing all of them one below the other), so the
user can browse and choose what parameters they want to alter ?

We are essentially trying to make our tool more user-friendly, esp. to
a non-computer science user group. Any pointers to tools / formats
that have been integrated with Repast before will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance !
-Venkat

RE: making RePast parameter input organized and user-friendly...

North, Michael
Venkat:

You might consider ether Unified Modeling Language (UML)
(http://www.uml.org/) or more specially Agent UML (AUML)
(http://www.auml.org/).

Mike

docgca
Just to help me clarify in my head what are the major distinctions
between things like UML/AUML and modeling toolkits like Repast, Swarm
or Mason?

Gary An
Department of Trauma, Cook County Hospital
Chicago, IL

You might consider ether Unified Modeling Language (UML)
(http://www.uml.org/) or more specially Agent UML (AUML)
(http://www.auml.org/).

Mike

In principle, UML and AUML are abstract implementation-neutral languages
for describing software or agent-based systems.  Repast et al. provide
specific implementations or executable bindings for agent-based models.

Mike

and

http://sourceforge.net/geronimo.php

RE: making RePast parameter input organized and user-friendly...

North, Michael

In theory, models specified using UML or AUML can be implemented using
any toolkit.  In practice, differences in toolkit implementations and
features can make this difficult.

Mike